Tuesday, April 1, 2014

NaPoWriMo 2014 Day #1 - the tree

Day #1.

Oh man, do I have to start with something like this?
Last Sunday, I visited a friend's grave during the Qing Ming festival. A tree around the area inspired this poem.






photo by dsnake1, with huawei smartphone





the tree




has this tree
grown wiser over the years
or has it become
lonely and sad
watching from the hillock
over road and cemetery
watch the old graves
              exhumed
and the newly dead
              lain in?


01/04/2014
**********





badge from napowrimo.net

4 comments:

Ravenblack said...

All the best for NaPo!

I like this. I do often feel that trees are sort of like silent observers. Few of the dead get the privilege of getting buried in the ground these days though.

dsnake1 said...

hey Liz, nice to hear from you. :)

i was intrigued by this single tree on a hill, and that sort of get me thinking. and yes, most of the dead get cremated nowadays.

The workload in the office is bad, so I don't think I can post a poem a day this year. I can try though, :)

Ravenblack said...

At least you are still writing and posting quite regularly.

Even the cremated do not necessarily get a long rest. Some years ago, my dad and granny's ashes had to be moved because mt vernon was getting some kind of renovation or something... we decided spread the ashes at sea. I guess that's where I'd end up. Probably prefer them to spread it in the reserves... but who knows how long those will last. Suddenly a highway is more important and the green is gone.

dsnake1 said...


yeah, i am still posting regularly, that's a surprise. i have thought of taking a break from blogging. i have taken to cycling regularly again, and I have just bought GT6, so i don't know where i gonna find the time. :)

my parent's ashes are still at mt vernon, but very soon will have to move, as the place is slated for hdb flats. i think spreading of ashes at sea is okay with me too. i am not too sure about the reserves, whether the authorities allow it, but like you said, suddenly there's a highway through the green.

and i am not too sure about this NaPo. one post so far, and today's looking blank too. :)